On July 29 at 2:30am I woke up with contractions coming about 10 min. apart. I started walking around and then I decided I was tired of doing that so I went back to bed. They started getting harder and I grabbed Brandan's hand and gave it a good squeeze, I did that twice and then he woke up. It was about 4am now and my contractions were about 7 min. apart. So I called my midwife Liz Smith and told her I was in labor and she said she would be right over. ( just a little side note for those of you who didn't know I was doing this at home and are asking WHY? Well I really wanted to know what it would be like to give birth naturally at home and really Why not? I was kinda up for the challenge.) I called my mom so that she would be here when the girls woke up and could get them outta there. And of course she said she would be right over. So they both got there and my contractions were coming harder and harder and I started moaning. Thats when I decided that it was time to get the girls up and send them with grandma for a fun filled day with her. I really didn't know how I was going to be when the contractions got really bad I didn't know if I was going to be a screamer or what so anyway the girls left about 7am. Thats when the pain got really bad. Liz had me labor on the toilet which was really intense because you have a lot of pressure. I had to hold Brandan every contraction that I had. I just have to say that I expected the physical pain but I had no idea what an emotional roller coaster it was going to be for me. There was one time I started freaking out the pain was so bad and I looked at Liz and said I am going to break I can't do this I am going to break down. And she said everyone breaks twice so break and get over this. so I broke down kinda emotional freaked and then got down to business. (break 1) I have never felt pain so bad as when the baby goes down into your sacral arch it was like this tremendous knock the breath out of you pain with contractions on top of that. So I had to get into a position that would bring him down and out. So Then I was ready to push and let me tell you when you are ready to push your body just pushes you have no control. Like I said before emotionally you are just along for the ride and that is really hard because you can't control anything. You just have to go with it. So there I am trying to push this kid out and here came break 2. I said I can't do this! I can't do this! and she said yes you can Rachel you are going to hold this baby in 15 min. can you do this for 15 min? and I pulled it together and in less than 15 min. he was out.
Monday, August 17, 2009
The Birth Story.
I have never felt so much joy in all my life. Whether it was because I was glad it was over or because he was finally here I don't know but I felt something from that experience that I will never forget. Not just the pain but the joy. When she laid him on my stomach he just laid there he was breathing quietly it was beautiful. Then I was like oh my baby and crying and then he started crying and I said its ok, its ok and he just kept crying and Liz said you need to tell him you're ok, he needs to hear that you're ok so I said I'm ok baby I'm ok and he stopped crying and snuggled in to me. That was my favorite part of the whole birth.
Then after a while Brandan cut the umbilical cord and I gave the baby to him. Brandan said Hi and the baby just cooed at him it was so cute we all were like ooohhhh!
I felt that this experience brought Brandan and I so much closer than we ever have been. It was like a team effort. He was there for me during every single one of my contractions and he was my support he was there when I freaked and he was there to tell me to breath when I was turning purple from pushing so hard. I love him more after this experience then I have ever loved him.
Then I got up and took a shower and got into my own bed that was big enough for both Brandan and I and the baby to rest comfortably in. My mom brought the girls over and they saw him and I was so hyped up on adrenaline that I couldn't rest but it was nice just to lay in bed. Liz stayed with us for about an hour after the birth to make sure I am doing all right and then she left.
It was a great experience and I would definitely do it again, just not tomorrow.
I am so glad everything turned out the way it did and that we were both healthy and have totally recovered.
Thanks to all of you who took my kids and brought dinner and offered to help it was all much appreciated!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




6 comments:
You made me cry! I'm a big baby when I hear such great birth stories. I had those freak moments with Hyrum. I kept thinking "oh it would be so nice not to feel this right now" but then like you, I just had to deal with it and minutes later he was in my arms and everything was great. Congrats again. We can't wait to meet the little guy, whenever that may be?
P.S. Nice work Brandan, you did great!
I love reading other home birth stories! Isn't it an amazing feeling to give birth at home? You have so much more power and strength than you realized. I think its so amazing that our bodies can do something like that. I think your awesome! I remember right after Krew came out, I didnt feel an ounce of pain because I had so much adrenaline it was crazy. Did you give your birth story at the class? I want to hear it!
Thanks for sharing, that is a great one! So glad you and baby are doing well.
So sweet! There's really nothing like having a baby. You kind of made me baby hungry for a minute. But that minute has passed. I still think your crazy but I understand now. I need to see more pics of the boy...
Wow, that is one great story. Good work, you should be proud of yourself.
What a beautiful birth story! So how long did it last from when you woke up with contractions until the time he was born? It sounds like it was relatively short- and I am envious of you! The closest I got to a natural childbirth was when I had Koby- I was already contracting on my own, then went in to be induced. Very smooth labor, and very wonderfully emotional. :) Good job, Rachel! :)
Post a Comment